The Dilemma of Whether to Stay or Exit After Getting Trapped in a Heavy NVDA Position

▲ 116💬 315
Original Post
Show original post

My goal is $1.1M. 80% of my money is in NVDA. I made a concentrated bet thinking NVDA would soon reach 300 and Id become a millionaire in the next 4 months. Thought 230s would be the new low.

My average cost is $216.6, but most of my shares were bought at ath of $236. I sold my all voo to become highly concentrated on NVDA, so also owe capital tax gain on voo.

I've wanted to bet on SPCX, MU, and trade high SPY options, but my money is tied up in NVDA.

If you were me, would you keep waiting for NVDA to recover despite other ideas coming to mind, or would you move some money elsewhere at a loss?

Affected Tickers
NVDAAMDGOOGVOOMUSPYSPCX
Post Analysis Summary

The core ticker discussed by the OP is NVDA. His investment situation is not a full traditional company fundamental analysis, but rather a stay-or-exit decision after building a highly concentrated position: out of his current approximately $669,500 in stock assets, about $536,900 is in NVDA, roughly 80%, with the goal of reaching $1.1 million in assets within the next 4 months. He originally assumed NVDA would rise relatively quickly to $300, and that the $230 range would become the new low, so he sold the VOO he previously held and concentrated the funds into NVDA; but NVDA has now fallen below his cost range. The image shows he holds about 2,564.27 shares of NVDA, with a market value of about $536,900, an unrealized loss of about $17,400, a loss of about 3.14%, and an average cost of about $216.16, while the text says the average cost is about $216.6, and that most of the shares were bought near the historical high around $236. The image also shows his account holds another 150 shares of AMD, with a market value of about $78,500, an unrealized gain of about $44,500, and a return of 131.03%; about 145.09 shares of GOOG, with a market value of about $54,100, an unrealized gain of about $18,800, and a return of 53.21%; total stock equity of about $669,500, with the overall account still showing an unrealized gain of about $45,900 and a return of 7.36%. Therefore, the issue is not that the overall account is on the verge of a loss, but that the single NVDA position is too large, creating excessive pressure from liquidity and opportunity cost. The OP also mentions having considered switching to SPCX, MU, and trading high-risk SPY options, but his capital is tied up in NVDA, while selling VOO may have generated capital gains tax, which adds tax friction to rebalancing. His implicit investment assumptions include: NVDA can still quickly recover and reach significant new highs under the AI and semiconductor narrative; the short-term $300 target can be achieved within 4 months; a concentrated bet can accelerate reaching the million-dollar goal better than continuing to hold index funds; and other ideas such as SPCX, MU, or SPY options offer better short-term return opportunities. The biggest flaw is that the post does not provide a fundamental valuation path, earnings forecast, growth-rate assumptions, or valuation multiple rationale for NVDA reaching $300, and is instead based more on price anchoring and reverse-engineering from a target asset amount. Meanwhile, his financial planning is clearly influenced by the arbitrary deadline of “becoming a millionaire in 4 months,” which may lead to frequent switching among high-volatility assets during a minor loss. Another flaw is risk budgeting: putting nearly 80% of all investable assets into a single large-cap tech stock, even if it is a high-quality company, makes the account highly sensitive to single-stock valuation compression, changes in AI capex expectations, regulation, or earnings volatility. The loss percentage reflected in the image is actually not large, but the absolute position size is large, and the psychological pressure comes from concentration rather than the current loss itself. Overall, the OP’s original inclination toward NVDA was optimistic, but the current post reflects wavering conviction and a position-management problem rather than a clear buy or sell conclusion.

Discussion Summary

The discussion overall still centers on position management rather than NVDA fundamentals: most people think a 3% small loss is not something to panic over, and that the 80% single-stock concentration is the real source of stress. They suggest at least partially trimming and diversifying back into VOO/VGT, or keeping half and continuing to hold; others argue that as long as Jensen remains in charge, don’t sell, believing NVDA is still supported by long-term AI demand. New disagreements include some expecting it to first fall below 200 or even to 180 before testing 270, while others continue to worry that an AI bubble bursting would drag down the entire market; the opposing side emphasizes that AI capex, data centers, and productivity are not an empty bubble. OP only responded that their financial decisions over the years have not been purely due to luck, but that recent FOMO and impatience were factors, with no new trading decision.

Fact Check
supported
The OP says about 80% of his funds are in NVDA.
The image shows an NVDA market value of about $536,881 and total stock equity of about $669,496, a proportion of about 80.2%, consistent with the main post.
supported
The OP says the average cost of NVDA is about $216.6 and that the position is currently at a loss.
The image shows an NVDA average cost of about $216.16, a position of about 2,564.27 shares, an unrealized loss of about $17,404.81, and a loss of about 3.14%; the $216.6 stated in the text is broadly consistent with the screenshot.
unclear
The OP believes NVDA may rise to $300 within the next 4 months.
This is the OP’s price target and subjective expectation. The post does not provide earnings forecasts, valuation multiples, or a catalyst-based derivation, so its reasonableness cannot be verified from the material alone.
supported
At the time of capture, NVDA’s market price was below the OP’s cost range, giving a real basis for his unrealized loss.
Market data shows that near 15:37 UTC on 2026年6月16日, NVDA was quoted at about $209.42, below the OP’s cost of about $216, directionally supporting his unrealized loss status.
unclear
The OP says that after selling all of his VOO, he still owes capital gains tax on VOO.
This concerns personal account transactions and tax circumstances. The post does not provide trade records, cost basis, or tax forms, so it cannot be externally verified.

Loading Truth Social...

Loading live updates...

Settings
Appearance
Card Style
Language
Live View Style
News Sources
AI Summary for Long Articles
News Filter
Duplicate News Aggregation
Recency
Trump Truth Social
About Us
Version 2.6.1
Data Source r/wallstreetbets
AI Engine ChatGPT/Gemini/Claude
MCP Server https://mcp.sellthenews.org/mcp